Search This Blog

Friday, January 8, 2010

Awake, Hungry, and gotta go.

A strange 3:30 A.M. awakening, The Bladder Fairy and the Hunger Gnome have joined forces, and driven the Sandman from our door. So to appease the Bladder Fairy I make a golden offering to the Porcelain Altar. And trek down to the kitchen in quiet darkness,
Opening the icebox (no not the refrigerator, we keep some of our cold liquids in the side porch during winter months.) Grab a little milk. And then open the fridge, Lisa has made another batch of chili, (Not as good as the Super Bowl chili of 1996, which is legendary, but definitely in the same category.) Tempted by Chili in the middle of the night, the Hunger Gnome (looking like an emaciated Santa Claus) urging me on. I take the lid off the pan and the smell of tomato and green pepper and onion and spices swirls about my head. I quickly put the lid back on pan. And grabbing a butter knife, deftly chase the Hunger Gnome across the kitchen to the bread drawer, grab a half slice of wheat bread, paste a little margarine on it. And head into the living room to tell the tale of the temporary retreat of the Hunger Gnome and the Bladder Fairy, while eating bread, and sipping on a little milk. The Hunger Gnome will be back on Sunday when the chili will be served during the Packer playoff game. But he will leave sated. And as for me, I think my friend the sandman has found his way back into the house, so back up the stairs to snuggle the one I love the most while sleeping a few more peaceful hours on a cold winter night.

No comments:

Post a Comment